Friday, November 22, 2013

Ribs!

Thursday was quite the busy day, we did school from 9am-2pm and it took up every second. We are using Oak Meadow 2 and Life of Fred as our curriculum this year. I add in extra science and math because he loves these subjects. I let him direct the science and I add in Kumon workbooks for math. This week in Oak Meadow we are studying the continent of Africa and distinctive features of various animals. We were also supposed to start clay work for art, but we don't have any, so we are starting that the week after Thanksgiving (we are taking Thanksgiving week mostly off) We did an experiment out of Steve Spangler's Naked Eggs and Flying Potatoes, where we put hot sauce on pennies. It was fun and now we have a whole collection of shiny pennies.Miles loves The Life of Fred, he just finished Goldfish in the elementary series and  is already begging me to go on. It's such a cute little story and the math you learn is very diverse and it keeps his interest and attention. We also finished our daily reader, Horrible Harry and the Invasion of the Purple People. He was very proud of himself for finishing it. He is such a reluctant reader and I am very proud, too.

Towards the end of school I started on our recipe for today, OVEN BAKED baby back ribs, before running to Tae Kwon Do class. I trimmed and prepped the ribs while he was finishing his last workbook page.
I seasoned one with our favorite pre-made salt-free rub (Rasta Rub) and  Kosher salt. Since my little man doesn't like spicy the other one was seasoned with a mixture of salt, pepper, garlic powder and a little brown sugar. 

 My favorite way to cook oven ribs is 15 minutes in a 450 degree oven, to form a nice crust, then I lower the temperature to 325 for about 2 hours. I put them in for 15 minutes in 450 degrees and right before I left I bumped the oven down to 325 and scooted out the door. (I don't recommend leaving the house while things are cooking but my husband would be home in thirty minutes and Tae Kwon Do is 5 minutes up the road and only 50 minutes long, so I took the risk.) They were done a little while after we all got home and settled down for the night. I served them with edamame (my son's favorite vegetable) and thick slices of French bread.


Oven Baked “BBQ” Ribs.

2 slabs Baby back ribs
rub of choice
BBQ sauce of choice 
(I use a sweet sauce and a spicy rub)


Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Open the ribs and give them a light rinse under running water and pat dry. I like to take off the thin membrane on the bottom side of the ribs, then season both sides of the ribs. Put them on a rack on a sheet pan (spray with nonstick spray, I forgot and boy do I regret it), I could fit both on one pan but you may need two. Put the ribs into the oven and set your timer for 15 minutes, when that time has passed, turn your oven down to 325 degrees and let bake for about 2 hours. My husband makes the best homemade BBQ sauce and I asked for his pork sauce for these babies. When the ribs are done I baste them with the sauce (you can use your favorite), return them to the oven for 5-10 minutes to glaze.Then, pull them out and let them rest 10-15 minutes before cutting.





1 comment: