Thursday, November 28, 2013

Brownie ice cream cake....

My nephew's favorite cake is a brownie topped with chocolate ice cream and frosted with whipped topping. I made my favorite brownie recipe in an 8 inch square pan. After it was cool enough to remove from the pan, I removed it to a cooling rack and lined the same pan with plastic wrap (no need to wash it) to mold the ice cream. I prefer to use parchment paper for this step but I didn't have any so I used plastic wrap.


At this point, pull the ice cream out to soften, but don't let it melt. You want to be able to press it into the pan, which is your mold. Then smooth the ice cream until it is even. You may need to hold onto the plastic wrap a bit so it won't slide out. Then return it to the freezer to refreeze.

I used my bamboo cutting board for the cake's board because it's strong. Since it's going to family, I know I will get my board back. If you don't have one, get two or three pieces of appropriately sized cardboard, stack them on top of each other, tape them together and wrap it in foil. Put the brownie layer on the bottom, then unmold the ice cream by pulling up on the plastic wrap. I  used a cutting board to flip the ice cream out on, then I slid it off onto the brownie cake. Stick it back in the freezer to firm up again. Leave the plastic wrap on at this point. After about an hour it should be ready to pull out and cover in whipped topping. Remove the plastic wrap and working quickly cover the entire cake in whipped topping. You don't have time to be perfect unless your house is pretty cold. I saved a little whipped topping out to tint with food coloring to write happy birthday and add a border. Just remember whatever color you use will come out pastel. I chose green. Put it back in the freezer until ready to serve.

 

I didn't get a picture of the birthday boy enjoying his cake, but all the kiddos ate it and as far as I know it was a great success. So happy birthday Joey, you are sweet kid who deserves this special cake!

Ghirardelli's Chocolate Brownies
Makes 16 brownies

1/2 c Semi-sweet chocolate chips (get the best you can afford)
4 oz Semi-sweet baking bar (same deal here)
1/2 c Butter, cut into pieces
1 c Firmly packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp pure(never imitation) vanilla extract
2 Eggs
3/4 c + 2 Tbsp AP Flour
1/4 tsp Baking powder
3/8 Tsp Salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, prepare an 8 inch square pan by lightly buttering it.Chop 4 oz chocolate and melt over double boiler until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Stir in vanilla and brown sugar. Add eggs and mix well. In a separate bowl sift together the dry ingredients. Slowly add sifted dry ingredients into the egg/chocolate mixture. Fold in chocolate chips, then pour into prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes.






No comments:

Post a Comment