Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Avacado Cheesecake!



I love the flexibility that homeschool gives daily life these days. Miles and I enjoyed a couple of hours of school, then he helped me wash dishes and we hung out with a good friend the rest of the afternoon. My friend wanted to make an avocado cheesecake for someone at my old job. I miss all the people there so much, they were such great people. I know I made the right choice leaving work to stay home and school Miles. However, not going to work, cooking amazing food every week and sharing my work with tons of people makes it tough sometimes. So I thoroughly enjoy any chance I get to cook for people, especially someone special. And if anyone deserves a special birthday surprise it's this guy, he always goes out of his way to help people, no matter what. He even helped me fix my car twice and was happy to do it. People like him are so important to the general well being of the world that they need a little something special every now and then. 

I love this recipe! I first made it for my little sister's birthday because she loves avocados...and cheesecake. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It's not too sweet and a little tangy but absolutely delicious!!

**BTW Sorry in advance for the lack of pictures. I was having fun hanging out with my friend and forgot :-(

Avocado Cheesecake
1 1/2 Tbsp. powdered gelatin
1/2 cup water
1 lb. cream cheese
3 ripe, Fresh Avocados (cut in half, remove seed and scoop out with spoon)
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
7 oz. Greek yogurt
8 oz. whipping cream

Crust
1 13 oz pkg Pecan Sandie cookies
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. lemon zest
2 oz. butter, melted


Filling
Combine gelatin and water in a small bowl and place over double boiler, stirring until gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat and set aside. With a paddle attachment cream together cream cheese and sugar until smooth. In a food processor, add lemon juice with avocado and process until smooth. Add avocado mixture to cream cheese mixture and mix together until well combined. Place whisk attachment on mixer. With mixer running, gradually add the warm gelatin to the avocado-cream cheese mixture and whisk together until well combined.Add the yogurt and mix together until well combined again. Using a hand held mixer or standing mixer with whip, whip whipping cream to soft peaks.
Fold whipping cream into the avocado mixture until well combined. Pour mixture onto prepared Cookie crust and allow to set in the refrigerator overnight to completely set.

Crust
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a 9 inch cheesecake pan. Using a food processor, pulse together the pecan sandies, sugar, salt, and grated lemon peel until finely broken up. Add melted butter and pulse mixture again until small clumps form. Press crust into prepared cheesecake pan. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until crust begins to brown slightly. Allow to cool completely before adding Avocado Cheesecake mixture.


Here is the link to the original recipe, I only slightly modified it so I want to give credit where it is due:

No comments:

Post a Comment