Saturday, February 22, 2014

Quinoa Salad...

So there is this "magical" little seed called quinoa. It eats like couscous, orzo or rice but it is actually a protein. I really like it but my family not so much. Then one day my husband had an epiphany and told me his idea to turn our favorite couscous salad into a healthier version with quinoa. He suggested it may even help him enjoy quinoa more. So I did my best to recreate the salad we always bought pre-made from our local HEB (grocery store). It's a Greek style salad with fresh basil, fresh spinach, lemon juice and best of all feta cheese.

Check this sight out for more info. (quinoa nutrition facts)

So quinoa cooks very similar to rice. In fact I read you can make it in a rice maker. I haven't tried that yet but I will. The ratio is 2-1, for every 2 cups of liquid you use 1 cup of quinoa. The liquid can be broth or water. For this salad I used water but it may be really good with a vegetable broth. Start out by rinsing your quinoa thoroughly. Several websites I read said rinsing it reduces any bitterness the outside shell may cause. I used a small sieve and rinsed it thoroughly for about 2 minutes.


 Then I got out my handy 2 quart sauce pot (it must have a lid) and heated it up over medium high heat with about a Tbsp of olive oil. I sauteed the rinsed quinoa in the pan to evaporate the water and lightly toast the outside of the quinoa. Notice the difference in the two pictures. Then I added the 2 cups of water, brought it to a boil, covered it and reduced the heat to low. Reminds you of making rice, right?


 Set a timer for 15 minutes, when time is up turn off the heat and let it set another 5 minutes with the lid on before fluffing.

 Since we are making a salad and not eating it hot, I transferred it to a large bowl and set it in the refrigerator uncovered for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, top cool. You could also cool it on the counter if you fridge is full, it will just take longer.
 When cool, assemble your salad. I like mine very lemony so I add two lemons worth of juice. If I were you I would start with one and taste it. The salad does get more flavorful after sitting in the fridge. To juice my lemon I used this handy little device. I don't know what it is called but the side if it says "worlds smallest juicer". I got it in a bag of lemons awhile ago and my son found it in the drawer the other day. I was showing him how to use it and remembered how awesome this little thing is. It got so much juice out and I didn't have to cut the lemon up. You just twist it into the lemon and the juice starts flowing so be sure you hold over a bowl or something.
 Now get out all the other goodies and slice them up, add about 1/4 cup of olive oil and as much salt and pepper as you like. Just remember the flavors will get stronger after setting in the fridge. You need a good amount of basil, sliced really thin.

  Thinly slice about a cup of fresh spinach. It started as two handfuls and when sliced up filled my 1 cup measuring cup. I removed some of the larger stems too.
 For the cheese, I used 4 oz of block feta, cut into small chunks. I like the block feta better than the pre-cumbled because to me it tastes better.

 After it is assembled put it in the refrigerator (covered) and let sit until you are ready to serve. I think it tastes the best the next day but it is good the same day or even a couple of days later. We have been eating on this batch for three days now because I made a double batch. It is so good, a great snack or side dish. Remember the ingredients are very interchangeable. Add more or less of what you prefer and try different ingredients. We really like this recipe so we will eat it like this for awhile but I may change it up later. I am thinking lemon zest and minced red onions would be a really good addition or some kalamata olives to really Greek it up. Hmmmmmmm....endless possibilities!
 So try quinoa, I love it. The boys are starting to enjoy it. I think next I will try to make risotto out of it.


Quinoa Salad

1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1-2 lemons
4 oz feta cheese, cubed
1 cup sliced fresh spinach, stems removed
1 bunch fresh basil, thinly sliced
1Tbsp + 1/4 cup olive oil
salt
pepper

Heat up a 2 quart sauce pot over medium high heat, add 1 Tbsp olive oil to pan. Add rinsed quinoa and saute until lightly toasted, the residual water from rinsing will evaporate away. Add 2 cups of warm water to pot, bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes on low, then turn off heat and let sit covered for at least 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and transfer to a large bowl to cool. Put in refrigerator uncovered for at least 20-30 minutes to cool, stirring occasionally. When cool add lemon juice (start with one and taste, if not flavorful enough for you, add the second lemon's juice, flavors will intensify upon standing) and 1/4 cup of live oil. Then add remaining ingredients, toss to incorporate, season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate covered for up to 3 days.


While I was prepping my veggies, Munchkin made me this little heart because he  "loves me so much!". Such a sweet boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment