Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Oatmeal Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies....

Sooooo I am late posting this but it is a good one. We had quite a few carrots come out of our garden and after eating them raw, making stir fry and beef stew, we decided we wanted something sweet. My husband really wanted carrot cake but since I needed to make something for the super bowl it had to be easier to serve. Well that same day I got an e-mail from the Martha Stewart Daily recipe e-mails and it was all about carrot cake. She had carrot cake cupcakes, cakes, and cookies. I only had the required ingredients on hand for the cookies so that is how I decided which to make. Now I thought it sounded weird but I love, love, love carrot cake. Let me tell you these cookies were amazing. I compare them to those pre-wrapped oatmeal cream cookies form a major junk food company and really good spiced cookies. I left the frosting really loose for two reasons. One I didn't have enough cream cheese and two I wanted it to be super soft and creamy. That's why my filling recipe has such weird ratios. However I would make it exactly the same again, except I wouldn't refrigerate the completed cookies until I was sure they needed it because they tasted way better before they went into the fridge.


Lightly spread with the filling
Top with a second cookie

Enjoy how amazing it is!

Super Delicious Close-Up



Oatmeal Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 cups finely grated carrots, (about 3 large carrots)

Cream Cheese Filling
6 oz cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter
1 1/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted (you could use more or less depending on consistency you like)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or cooking spray. In the bowl of a stand up mixer with the paddle attachment, combine sugars and butter; beat on medium until light and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Then add the eggs and vanilla, and beat on medium speed until well combined.
In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Gradually add flour to butter mixture. Mix on a low speed until mixture comes together, scraping down the sides. Then mix in oats and shredded carrots. Cover dough and place in refrigerator until firm, about 1 hour.
Using a 1/2-ounce ice-cream scoop or your hands (try to make them all the same size, about 1 tbsp dough), scoop dough onto prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between cookies. Bake until lightly browned but still soft (rotate pan halfway through baking) about 10-12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

For the filling, cream together cheese and butter until fluffy and smooth, then slowly add in sifted powdered sugar until it reaches desired consistency.  Cover and set aside until cookies are completely cooled.

When the cookies are completely cooled, spread with cream cheese filling and top with a second cookie. You can store them in an airtight container for in the refrigerator, but I say eat them all the same day they are way, way better before they are refrigerated.


Martha's Original Recipe!!! Check it out! and sign up for her daily recipe e-mails. I love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment