Sunday, January 5, 2014

Christmas Cookies....

Okay this year I made some Christmas cookies. I love, love, love, love, love Christmas Cookies. I didn't make all the kinds I wanted. I didn't make my favorite (Linzer cookies) or my mother in law's favorite (what we call butter cookies), even though I had every intention to. But I still made some good ones, Mexican hot chocolate cookies, snickerdoodles, gingerbread cookies and lemon cream cookies. They were all great. I am including the recipes but I didn't really take any pictures, I didn't want my new camera around all that stickiness. I will say that these are not my original recipes but they are my tried and true favorite recipes.

Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon chile powder (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down side of bowl. Add eggs and beat to combine. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture and beat until combined.

In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, and chile powder (if using). Using heaping tablespoons, form balls of dough and roll in cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place, about 3 inches apart, on two parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until cookies are set in center and begin to crack, about 10 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let cookies cool on sheets on wire racks 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to racks to cool completely. (Store in an airtight container, up to 1 week.)

I didn't really alter this recipe at all (I used Cayenne pepper instead of chile powder...only because I didn't have chile powder). I love the recipe, it is great as it is. Check out the original below.

Martha Stewart's Original Recipe

Snickerdoodles

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 cup shortening
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar, plus 3 tablespoons
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl.

With a handheld or standing mixer, beat together the shortening and butter. Add the 1 1/2 cups sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flour mixture and blend until smooth.

Mix the 3 tablespoons sugar with the cinnamon in a small bowl. Roll the dough, by hand, into 1 1/2-inch balls. Roll the balls in the cinnamon sugar. Flatten the balls into 1/2-inch thick disks, spacing them evenly on unlined cookie sheets. Bake until light brown, but still moist in the center, about 12 minutes. Cool on a rack.

Once again this is recipe I used as is. Some recipes just don't need tweeking :-) See the original below.

Food Network's Original Recipe

Gingerbread Cookies

3 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for rolling
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1 large egg

3/4 cup unsulfured molasses

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside. Using an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg and molasses. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture; mix just until combined. Divide dough in half; flatten into disks. Wrap each in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours and up to 2 days, or freeze up to 3 months (thaw before baking).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with racks set in upper and lower thirds. Working with one disk at a time, place dough on lightly floured parchment paper, and roll out to 1/8 inch thick, dusting lightly with flour as needed. Using paper, lift dough onto two baking sheets; freeze until firm, about 20 minutes.

For softer cookies, bake 8 to 10 minutes; for crunchier cookies, bake 11 to 12 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

Everyday Food's Original recipe

So her recipe includes how to make the icing, but I found that powdered meringue or egg whites was way more expensive than buying the icing pre-made. I could only find this one at wal-mart. I bought the white and blue. The blue had a weird consistency but still worked. Decorate one cookie at a time because it does dry quickly. I decorated, then sprinkled with decorating sugar, then set aside to dry. This icing dries hard in about an hour and then you can stack them up. I highly recommend it, easy enough for Miles and Nick to use.

I have searched and cooked and searched and cooked looking for the best gingerbread cookie recipe. This is it! I use it every time now, no other recipe has been even close to as good. This year I made gingerbread snowflakes and stars.

My friend Katherine made almond, chocolate, sea salt bark and we decided to make s'mores. We used two of these gingerbread stars, a chunk of her bark and a toasted marshmallow. It is amazing!!! You have to make it if you ever have these ingredients in the same room! I will never enjoy a s'more as much as these ones.



Lemon Cream Cookies

1 cup  butter-flavor shortening
1 cup  sugar
1 teaspoon  baking powder
1/4 teaspoon  salt
1 egg
1 teaspoon  vanilla
2 1/4 cups  all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons  finely shredded lemon peel
1 recipe  Lemon Cream Frosting

 1 pkg Finely crushed lemon drop candies

In a large bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour and the lemon peel.
Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a 10-inch roll. Wrap each roll in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill for 1 to 3 hours or until dough is firm enough to slice.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut rolls into 1/4-inch slices. Place slices about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Cool on cookie sheets for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to wire racks; cool.

Lemon Cream Frosting

1 8  ounce package  cream cheese, softened
2/3  cup  butter, softened
3 1/3  cups  powdered sugar

1  tablespoon  finely shredded lemon zest

In a large bowl beat cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until combined. Stir in lemon zest.

Better Homes and Gardens Original lemon cream recipe

I didn't make sandwiches because I wanted to make the cookies go further. I initially intended on making two batches but after making lemon and orange marmalade, I didn't have enough lemon zest for two. I took one cookie, spread it with the lemon frosting and then dipped it into the crushed candies.( I put the candy into my food processor and pulsed until they were finely crushed) Make sure you completely cover the frosting with crushed candies, you will thank me. This frosting doesn't harden so if you are packing them up layer them with wax paper or parchment. The candies do kind of protect the frosting from smearing but not entirely.


No comments:

Post a Comment